Tips for buying a loft ladder, the types, the fitting guide and measuring up.
USAGE – Are you going to be using this for DIY, Commercial or Industrial uses?
- The majority of wooden loft ladders and aluminium models below £100 are generally aimed at home use. Loft ladders for commercial application are generally made from aluminium and are built to a higher specification using larger stile and tread sections.
- If you are planning to use your loft ladder on a daily or weekly basis at home then we suggest either a commercial model such as the Deluxe or one of the better quality timber loft ladders.
TYPE – Do you want a folding, concertina type or sliding loft ladder? What is the difference?
- Folding loft ladders – the loft ladder folds up and sits on top of the loft hatch and doesn’t need a big storage space in the loft
- Concertina loft ladders – also sit on top of the loft hatch and take up a tiny amount of space
- Sliding ladders – will need space in the loft to store the ladders. One advantage is that the ladder does not need to be cut to fit
MATERIAL – Aluminium or wood?
- Aluminium loft ladders are lightweight, strong and cost effective. However they can be noisy to operate and cold to the touch.
- Wooden loft ladders often come as complete kits that are insulated and easier to operate and climb.
HATCHES – Included or not?
All timber folding loft ladders come with a complete case unit fitted with draught excluder seal. The aluminium loft ladders do not come with loft hatches, simply use your existing loft hatch or buy a separate loft hatch accessory.
If you are buying a loft ladder complete with a hatch, the important measurement is floor to ceiling. Otherwise if there is no hatch, you need to measure floor to floor.
MEASURING UP A LOFT LADDER – Use the diagram opposite to help work out all the dimensions you need before buying your loft ladder
Do you need some help or advice about buying or choosing the right ladder for the job?
Or maybe you would like to do a guest post or link on our blog!
Then call us on 08450 647 647 or drop us a message over on our Ladders Blog, Facebook, Google+ and Twitter pages. We always reply as quickly as we can and you’ll find plenty of funny and enjoyable posts, stories, images, tips and answers about most the products we sell. Or if you have a question that is bugging you it might be worth taking a look at our frequently asked questions.